IE University prides itself on being a pioneer in online learning. In light of the COVID-19 crisis, all classes swiftly moved to an online format, with 200 video sessions being taught simultaneously on any given day. But what is it like to adjust from face-to-face lectures to a totally online classes? Four students in the Master in Digital Marketing tell us about their experiences.
Student: Silvia Dominguez
- What has the experience been like taking all your classes online? Better than I thought (very positive)! From one day to another, we were able to transition from offline to online classes without falling behind schedule. Professors are very approachable and eager to help us. It’s very surprising to see how quickly we adapted to this new situation.
- What are some benefits of online learning? Online learning provides more time flexibility. Now I have a bit more time to spend on my extracurricular projects and hobbies. It also helps you to develop self-discipline from planning your day and tasks around class times.
- What tips do you have to stay motivated while studying from home?
- Make a schedule to be more efficient with your time. Don’t overtire yourself; you have more time now!
- Take breaks to disconnect from what you’re doing: you will have a fresher mind and it’ll improve your performance.
- Wear normal clothes so it feels like a normal day of “work.”
- Prepare some good Spotify playlists for your different study moods!
- Stay in contact with your friends from class: HouseParty, FaceTime, WhatsApp… no matter the distance and time zone, you can always stay connected to your community.
Student: Maria Luiza dePaula
- What has the experience been like taking all your classes online? I’m glad the university implemented the online class platform, because we have managed to finish this term perfectly on time. Though there were some small complications such as technical issues during the upload of presentations at the beginning, we found quick solutions to it on the platform and professors and program directors alike have been very helpful and understanding during this situation!
- What are some benefits of online learning? We didn’t have to cancel classes or undergo drastic rescheduling, all while being in the comfort of our homes. Studying at home has never been more comfortable.
- What tips do you have to stay motivated while studying from home? The tip that works for me is to keep in constant contact with my classmates; to establish a space where I can watch the classes quietly and take notes; and to organize a routine according to my online schedule.
Student: Fernando March
- What has the experience been like taking all your classes online? To be honest, my experience of taking all my classes online has not been very positive, because I get easily distracted, and of course, the lack of contact with my classmates. Nevertheless, I truly appreciate the effort and commitment that IE University is making at such a critical moment, giving us the necessary tools to continue our studies.
- What are some benefits of online learning? Precisely in these circumstances, there are two important issues that I appreciate. Firstly, the continuity in academic teaching, and secondly, having a few hours covered with an obligation, whether it’s studying, working on group projects, or completing individual assignments. I believe that such obligations help us distract ourselves from these days that are starting to become neverending.
- What tips do you have to stay motivated while studying from home? My advice to stay motivated, while working or studying at home during those days, is based on simple things that do not require much effort. By getting up early, eating healthily, exercising for 20 to 30 minutes, or even dressing up as if you were going out, can put you in the right mindset before starting your work. Once you have successfully completed all your tasks, make time to chat with those who you haven’t talked with in a while and tell them your future plans or even start some with them!
Student: Kristina Taveras
- What has the experience been like taking all your classes online? I’ve enjoyed the transition from offline to online classes due to the ease and efficiency of the webconferencing platform, the ability to still be in touch with classmates and professors across different channels at all times, and not having to make drastic changes in my daily schedule while still having professors be flexible and understanding during this time.
- What are some benefits of online learning? Some of the major advantages of online learning is that it gives you a much more relaxed and flexible learning environment, it fosters greater time management and responsibility as a whole, and it ultimately allows us to create and enjoy a schedule that best fits with our day-to-day activities.
- What tips do you have to stay motivated while studying from home? My greatest piece of advice would be to stay up to date with all course announcements, try to participate as much as you can on discussion boards or conference calls alike, and most importantly, get the assigned work done first thing in the morning… That way, you can enjoy the rest of your day while still staying on track with your studies! Aside from this, writing down assignments and meeting dates on the planner of your choice is the best way to keep yourself organized.